Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Simple Yellow Rice


I adore Yellow Rice.  It's unique as it has seasonings--unlike white rice, yet can be used with so many different dishes.  For instance, I like to serve yellow rice at the bottom of a bowl of Chili.  Sort of like a surprise to dip into.  Or on the side of potatoes, salad, or steamed broccoli.  Oooh!  Or tucked into a burrito or quesadilla.

The thing that I do not adore about Yellow Rice would be the cost.  It's about $1.50 a box which gets you about 1.5 cups of cooked rice.  After searching and searching, I finally decided to take the ingredients of what sort of looked right to me from several online recipes, and give it my own flare.  In the end, I created my own recipe.  This recipe costs me about $.50, and I get over 3 cups of rice.  PLUS, I know that the ingredients are fresh.

I use my pressure cooker for its lightning fast abilities, however, if you don't have one, just follow the steps until the lid is locked on the pressure cooker and simmer until the water is absorbed and rice is tender in a large saucepan instead.

So, here is my recipe for Yellow Rice.  Simple, quick, and an affordable price.


1 1/2 TBS vegetable oil
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 C)
2 cloves fresh, minced garlic (I use the kind in the jar)
1/2 C white rice
3/4 tsp turmeric
3/4 tsp salt
1 extra large vegetable bouillon cube
2 1/4 C water

1. Pour the oil into a pressure cooker (or large saucepan) with the lid off.  Saute the onion and garlic on medium heat until translucent--2-3 minutes.

2.  Break the bouillon cube into smaller pieces, and drop into the water in a measuring cup.  Set aside to allow it to dissolve and soften a little.

3.  Add the rice to the pot.  Stir to coat.  Cook until the rice begins to brown slightly--about 4-5 minutes.  Add the salt and turmeric, and stir to coat.

4.  Add the water and bouillon cube, stirring about 1 minute to allow the cube to dissolve even more.

5.  Place the lid on the pressure cooker and lock, turn the heat up to high to bring cooker to high pressure.  Maintain high pressure for 3 minutes.  I have an electric stove, and a "jiggle top" pressure cooker.  Once it reaches high pressure, I have to lower the heat considerably, and I find that a pretty gentle rocking cooks the rice perfectly.  Easy does it on my stove!

6.  Remove from heat, allow the pressure cooker to come down for natural pressure release.  Once the pressure releases fully, carefully unlock and remove the lid (tipping away from yourself), fluff rice or scoop into a bowl and serve warm.

NOTE:  If using a saucepan, add the lid in step 5, and allow rice to simmer until the water is absorbed and rice is tender in a large saucepan.  Fluff and serve.

2 comments:

  1. I made this tonight and it was so good! I've never made yellow rice before, so I'm glad you posted this or I never would have thought to try it. It made a veeeery boring meal (steamed vegetables and rice) special. This was really good and I will definitely be making yellow rice more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you tried it and liked it! Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete