Tuesday, October 8, 2013

How to Make a Pencil Holder. OR How to Make a Tool/Nails/Screws Holder

About a week ago, I set aside a 28 oz tin can that we'd eaten the food out of.  I'd been working in my garage in my husband's tools and noticed that he had a lot of things on his work bench that could use a container.  I knew I could do some manly decorating of it and he'd be happy.  A few days later, he came home from work and told me that he needed a pencil holder because he had a drawer full of pens and pencils and wanted it empty.  Ha! It's a good thing I saved that tin can, huh?  Looks like I'll be saving a few more.


With Christmas coming up, I actually thought it could be a fun gift for those that could use a little organization in their lives.  I know many people enjoy or need to make as many gifts as possible this year, and this could be just thing for those hard-to-create-for-males.  

You could use two to three different sizes of tins and nestle them together.  Maybe a little candy or a new tool or pen to go in the smallest can.  I used some hemp-type rope, but it could be really fun to use some Paracord to give it a funky look.  I don't know.  Let your imaginations run wild!

Here's what you need to get started:

Hot Glue Gun and Glue sticks
Tin Can(s)
Hemp or other material to wrap around the can.


1.  First, let's make sure this can is safe.  Luckily, my can opener had done a great job, and I had zero issues with the cut.  If your can didn't make so clean a cut, try covering it with a little duck or electrical tape, fabric, or something else simple and not noticeable.  OR try using some pliers to bend it back in, or some scissors or wire cutters to cut it off.

2.  Warm up that glue gun and make sure you have plenty of glue sticks available.  This 28 oz can used about 5-6 mini glue sticks for my mini, low-heat glue gun. 

3.  To start the hemp, begin by making a strip of glue along the top of the can.  Put the hemp directly on the glue, and continue around the can, gluing and then laying down the hemp, until you reach the point at which you started.  To give it a clean look, glue along the top of the beginning of your hemp for about 1 inch to cover your starting point.

4.  Once you've covered your starting point, make a nice glue line off of the top, and NEXT to your circle of hemp.  Continue gluing and laying down the hemp next to the hemp you've glued down until you spiral all the way down the can.

5.  Watch that bottom of the can for a good point at which to cut the hemp off.  Trim, then glue it down neatly and try to make it discreet and clean.  You don't want anybody to see your start or finish secrets!

Have fun getting a little more organized!

No comments:

Post a Comment