Thursday, November 7, 2013

Crock Pot Cheesy Potato Soup



Cheesy Potato Soup is a regular menu item in our family. It is Little Gal's absolute favorite dish that I make, and everyone else enjoys it too, so when I want something crowd-pleasing and simple to make for dinner, I make this.

It is also very easy to turn it into a *dairy-free dish.  When I make it dairy-free, I usually leave a bowl of grated cheese on the side for those who wish to have a little.

This makes quite a bit for our family of four, so I often throw the leftovers in the freezer for a freezer meal for another night.  This soup freezes really well and maintains its consistency once it has been reheated.  I love a two for one!

I hope you enjoy!


Crock Pot Cheesy Potato Soup

Ingredients:

8 Medium-large potatoes, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2-1 tsp black pepper
2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
5-6 Cups water
3 TBS flour
1 can evaporated milk
2 cups shredded cheese (we use a monterrey and cheddar blend)


1.  In a crockpot (mine is a 6 Qt), combine the potatoes, carrots, celery, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and water.  Place the lid on and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 4-6, depending on how much time you have.

2.  Forty-five minutes before serving, pour the milk into a bowl.  Slowly whisk the flour into the milk until smooth.  If it's not smooth here, you'll have unsightly chunks in your soup, so don't skimp on the whisking here!

3.  Pour the milk mixture into the crock, then add in the cheese.  Stir to combine, then replace the lid.  Let the soup continue to cook about 45 minutes, until cheese is melted.

4.  Serve hot with bread, crackers or salad.

*If you wish to make this dairy-free, replace the evaporated milk with a dairy-free milk, omit the cheese, and use a vegan Worcestershire sauce.  If you don't have a vegan sauce, you can try using soy sauce, steak sauce, or making your own.  You can also leave it out, it just makes it extra yummy!



1 comment:

  1. I tried your soup last week and it was a hit! Previous cheesy soups which I have tried have turned grainy on me, but this was smooth! I have a similar crockpot soup recipe which doesn't use cheese--I add ham for protein (good way to use up leftovers!)--and I'm thinking that maybe I'll combine the two recipes to have cheesy ham & potato soup. Yum.

    ReplyDelete