Friday, September 6, 2013

On the Bright Side

One of the last squash harvests and bigger-than-it-looks bowl of tomatoes.




My husband and I have been trying to purchase a house for three and a half months. I loved this sweet house, but I loved the yard even more.

The house was on a third of an acre, and was beautifully landscaped with a variety of garden beds and bulbs galore. There were lots of exotic-looking flowering plants, ferns, hostas, ornamental grasses, hydrangea, rhododendron, and so many plants I wanted to identify and explore.

We spent hours talking about what we would do with the house and yard, and I dreamt up all of the fruits and vegetables I wanted to persuade to grow.

Right at the end, though, it all fell apart. Though I have been working through many emotions, we have short and long-term plans and we're going to be ok.

The good thing about having half of your house packed and then having to unpack in the same house is that you get to really assess how to organize things as you put them away. I have ideas working there way throughout my entire house--better ways to do pretty much everything!

Staying in the same place after disconnecting gives you an opportunity to try again. I've gotten to know my landlords/neighbors so much, and now I can get to know them even better.




Here's to enjoying the rest of the harvest, something I had planned on gifting to my landlord.




My watermelon was actually perfect, if quite small. You CAN grow melons, late in the season, in the Pacific Northwest! Just pick personal-sized melons.




And hopefully this harvest will produce some delicious, home-canned, home-grown tomato sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment