Thursday, October 17, 2013

Silver Dollar Pancakes: Great Secondary Use for a Cookie Dough Scoop


When you were a child, did you ever want your mom or dad to make you a really teeny, tiny, pancake?  I did!  If that batter dripped the tiniest bit, I wanted that little pancake.  

It turns out that my children also love teeny, tiny, pancakes.  Inspiration came a few months ago when I told my Little Gal that I would be making pancakes for breakfast.  Just as I opened the baking drawer, she asked, "Can you make them really small, mommy?"

My hand passed the Cookie Scoop on its way to the measuring cups, and just as I was thinking what a mess, how not uniform, and how drippy it would be (I was about to say, "Not this time"), my eyes went back to the cookie scoop.

"Sure, we can have little pancakes!"

I made my batter as usual, but scooped with my cookie scoop instead of with my 1/4 Cup measuring cup.

They are almost perfectly uniform and they are just the size of the silver dollar pancakes you can order at restaurants.  My kids love them, and I love having a simple way to make them happy!

Of course, if you want to try a new pancake recipe but want that same little plate stacked high with three large pancakes, try the recipe below, but scoop with a 1/4 Cup measuring cup.




This recipe that I've developed is the best medium that I can find that suits everyone in our family.  They won't go for 100% whole wheat, but they'll go for 66%, so I'll take it!  

Ingredients:
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 TBS Slightly Heaped Baking Powder
2 TBS Raw Sugar (or regular white sugar)
3/4 tsp Salt
1 Cup Plain Almond or Non-Dairy Milk
1 Scant TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
1 TBS Ground Flax
1/2 C Water
1 TBS Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

1.  In a medium bowl, mix the flours, baking powder, sugar, and salt.

2.  Pour milk into a glass measuring cup.  Add vinegar and mix until bubbly.  Add flax, and mix again until bubbly.

3.  Add the milk mixture, water, oil, and vanilla to the flour mixture, and whisk until combined.

4.  Let the batter sit 5-10 minutes so that science can get to work on it and you can heat your griddle over a medium low flame.

5.  Grease griddle (or use nonstick), and use your cookie scoop (or a 1/4 Cup measuring cup) to pour the batter on.  Cook until you see bubbles forming in the batter, and a peak underneath shows that they are golden brown.  Flip, and cook until golden brown.

6.  Place on a cooling rack for 2-3 minutes to allow the pancakes to continue cooking a bit until they cool, without sweating. Serve with jam, fruit butter, fruit, or syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment